From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs.ext@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: 500 meg / partition (including /boot) *WITHOUT USING LVM*
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 09:45:19
1 Am Dienstag, 4. September 2007 schrieb ext Remy Blank:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > Why do you make such a big deal of not using LVM? It achieves
4 > > everything you want to, and more, without the compromises.
5 >
6 > There's one thing that has prevented me from ever using LVM: the need to
7 > have an initrd (or initramfs).
8
9 There is no need to have an initramfs unless you put / on an LV.
10
11 > From what I remember, this has always
12 > required manually copying some utilities like the LVM tools to the
13 > initrd (or writing a script that does it), and remembering to do it
14 > every time I update one of the tools, and not to forget copying all
15 > required libraries as well, and so on.
16
17 I could send you a script. And no, it doesn't harm if you forget to update
18 the stuff in the initramfs.
19
20 > OTOH, I have stopped looking at solutions that need an initrd quite some
21 > time ago, so things might be easier nowadays. How do you manage your
22 > initrd?
23
24 With a simple self written script that copies the needed tools to a
25 directory used by the kernel build.
26
27 > Do you even need one?
28
29 Yes, I do. Because I have / on a logical volume which may (in case of a
30 laptop) also be encrypted.
31
32 > And from what I remember, you can't resize a mounted ext3 partition
33
34 You should refresh your memory, then :-) Those times are long over.
35
36 > But I'd love to be proven wrong on all the points above!
37
38 Done (partly) :-)
39
40 > This would
41 > certainly motivate me to look into LVM seriously this time.
42
43 Do it right, then - use EVMS *SCNR*
44
45 > It really seems to be the right solution to the various problems I have
46 > seen with static partitions.
47
48 It doesn't just seem so. It is.
49
50 Bye...
51
52 Dirk
53 --
54 Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
55 Configuration Manager | Fax: +49 (0)211 47068 111
56 Capgemini Deutschland | Mail: dirk.heinrichs@×××××××××.com
57 Wanheimerstraße 68 | Web: http://www.capgemini.com
58 D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733
59 GPG Public Key C2E467BB | Keyserver: www.keyserver.net