From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: 500 meg / partition (including /boot) *WITHOUT USING LVM*
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 09:07:25
1 On Tuesday 04 September 2007, Remy Blank wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > Why do you make such a big deal of not using LVM? It achieves
4 > > everything you want to, and more, without the compromises.
5 >
6 > There's one thing that has prevented me from ever using LVM: the need
7 > to have an initrd (or initramfs). From what I remember, this has
8 > always required manually copying some utilities like the LVM tools to
9 > the initrd (or writing a script that does it), and remembering to do
10 > it every time I update one of the tools, and not to forget copying
11 > all required libraries as well, and so on.
12 >
13 > OTOH, I have stopped looking at solutions that need an initrd quite
14 > some time ago, so things might be easier nowadays. How do you manage
15 > your initrd? Do you even need one?
16
17 On Gentoo it's easy to get away with not using an initramfs. Everything
18 is built from source and you roll your own kernel so we don't need to
19 jump through the boot time hoops that a binary distro must to be able
20 to support everything and boot.
21
22 You will always have a pretty good idea how much space / needs, it
23 contains /bin, /sbin, /etc, /root and /lib. Unless oyu are in the habit
24 of storing stuff in /root, 500M is plenty. So put / on a regular
25 partition, everything else in LVM and your initramfs worries go away.
26 The only case I can think of that *requires* initramfs right now is
27 booting off a raid device
28
29 > > And what happens with 500GB is no longer enough and you want to add
30 > > more space. How do you resize your "partitions" to use space on the
31 > > second disk?
32 >
33 > Even though I have used resize2fs in the past, I have always thought
34 > that this tool was kind of a hack. Doesn't the resizing operation
35 > carry some risk? And if it goes wrong (e.g. a power outage), do you
36 > loose the complete content of the partition?
37 >
38 > And from what I remember, you can't resize a mounted ext3 partition,
39
40 balls. ext2online and resize2fs have been resizing ext3 partitions for
41 ages. You can extend a mounted partition with ease and in safety.
42
43 What you can't do, and to my knowledge no regular fs can do, is to
44 *reduce* a mounted partition
45
46 > so you have to boot to a rescue CD, hope that all your LVM tools are
47 > there (they normally are, but what version?) and perform the resize
48 > operation there.
49
50 Why would lvm not be on your rescue disk? That's just a silly excuse.
51 What would you do with a reswcue disk that doesn't have fdisk on it?
52 You'd throw it away and get a different one.
53
54 Versions don't have much impact on lvm. True, you can't use V1 tools on
55 V2 volumes, but V1 hasn't seen much use since the days on kernel 2.4
56
57 > But I'd love to be proven wrong on all the points above! This would
58 > certainly motivate me to look into LVM seriously this time. It really
59 > seems to be the right solution to the various problems I have seen
60 > with static partitions.
61
62 You are imagining problems where none exist :-)
63
64 The only thing you need worry about is where are you going to get a
65 decent howto that explains the concepts. You are dealing with three
66 layers of stuff on top of physical partitions and some docs out there
67 are ... confusing. Once you get the picture fully, it's as easy pie and
68 makes perfect sense.
69
70 Really, LVM is the answer to all those prayers you have been sending up
71 to $DEITY for years :-)
72
73 alan
78 Optimists say the glass is half full,
79 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
80 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
81
82 Alan McKinnon
83 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
84 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
85 --
86 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list