From: Remy Blank <remy.blank@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: 500 meg / partition (including /boot) *WITHOUT USING LVM*
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 10:07:44
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Gentoo it's easy to get away with not using an initramfs. Everything
3 > is built from source and you roll your own kernel so we don't need to
4 > jump through the boot time hoops that a binary distro must to be able
5 > to support everything and boot.
6 >
7 > You will always have a pretty good idea how much space / needs, it
8 > contains /bin, /sbin, /etc, /root and /lib. Unless oyu are in the habit
9 > of storing stuff in /root, 500M is plenty. So put / on a regular
10 > partition, everything else in LVM and your initramfs worries go away.
11
12 Ok, I was suspecting that putting / outside of LVM might be the
13 solution. Thanks for confirming.
14
15 > The only case I can think of that *requires* initramfs right now is
16 > booting off a raid device
17
18 Strangely enough, I am currently booting from a software raid device, so
19 you don't need an initramfs for that either.
20
21 >> And from what I remember, you can't resize a mounted ext3 partition,
22 >
23 > balls. ext2online and resize2fs have been resizing ext3 partitions for
24 > ages. You can extend a mounted partition with ease and in safety.
25
26 Have you ever tried pulling the plug while a resize operation was in
27 progress? I guess I'll have to test this myself, as my data is valuable
28 enough to me that I won't just believe what I read.
29
30 I wasn't aware of ext2online. Doesn't it require a kernel patch? Is it
31 integrated in gentoo-sources? The homepage seems to indicate that it
32 hasn't been updated since 2000.
33
34 > What you can't do, and to my knowledge no regular fs can do, is to
35 > *reduce* a mounted partition
36
37 But who would want to do that? I always need *more* space, not less ;-)
38
39 > Why would lvm not be on your rescue disk? That's just a silly excuse.
40 > What would you do with a reswcue disk that doesn't have fdisk on it?
41 > You'd throw it away and get a different one.
42
43 Well, I haven't spent much time looking at rescue CDs, I have always
44 used Knoppix up to now and it has been good enough. I'll just check that
45 recent LVM tools are on it.
46
47 >> But I'd love to be proven wrong on all the points above! This would
48 >> certainly motivate me to look into LVM seriously this time. It really
49 >> seems to be the right solution to the various problems I have seen
50 >> with static partitions.
51 >
52 > You are imagining problems where none exist :-)
53
54 Not quite. I have a memory of problems that have existed but thankfully
55 have been fixed since.
56
57 Anything special if I put the LVM over a software raid?
58
59 -- Remy