From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: 500 meg / partition (including /boot) *WITHOUT USING LVM*
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 10:42:01
1 On Tuesday 04 September 2007, Remy Blank wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 [snip]
4 > > The only case I can think of that *requires* initramfs right now is
5 > > booting off a raid device
6 >
7 > Strangely enough, I am currently booting from a software raid device,
8 > so you don't need an initramfs for that either.
9
10 You have software compiled in the kernel, not as a module the, right?
11
12 I would imagine you wouldn't need an initrd for that
13
14 > >> And from what I remember, you can't resize a mounted ext3
15 > >> partition,
16 > >
17 > > balls. ext2online and resize2fs have been resizing ext3 partitions
18 > > for ages. You can extend a mounted partition with ease and in
19 > > safety.
20 >
21 > Have you ever tried pulling the plug while a resize operation was in
22 > progress? I guess I'll have to test this myself, as my data is
23 > valuable enough to me that I won't just believe what I read.
24
25 An enlarge operation tends to be quite safe in my experience. At worst
26 you get some new inodes that might not be accounted for, something that
27 fsck will handle easily.
28
29 A reduce might be a different case altogether. BUT, it's not an
30 especially different operation to a defrag on Windows, and I have yet
31 to see a Windows admin debate whether he should defrag or not based on
32 the possibility of losing power halfway through...
33
34 I can't comment too much on problems with reducing ext2/3, but I do
35 reduce reiser3.6 filesystems often, once when the battery died, and it
36 wasn't a problem when powered up. There was no feedback in the logs to
37 speak of, so I assumed that the journal did what it was designed to do.
38 This was in the first stages of the operation - moving blocks to the
39 start of the volume, and I honestly have never done this test in the
40 later stages - when inodes are removed from the superblock
41
42 [snip]
43
44 > > What you can't do, and to my knowledge no regular fs can do, is to
45 > > *reduce* a mounted partition
46 >
47 > But who would want to do that? I always need *more* space, not less
48 > ;-)
49
50 emerged openoffice lately? :-)
51
52 It pretty much always fails if you have <5G in /var/tmp/portage. On a
53 laptop, that's 8% of my total disk space just sitting there free
54 waiting for the day I emerge openoffice again. Umounting /var to reduce
55 it is such a huge pita that I made /var/tmp/portage a separate volume
56 and now reduce it at will.
57
58 But true enough, especially on server, you will enlarge volumes much
59 more often the reduce them
60
61 [snip]
62
63 > Anything special if I put the LVM over a software raid?
64
65 Not in my experience. The only difficulty I ever had was persuading
66 RHEL4 to install / like that - anaconda either doesn't support it or
67 the button to click to do it is hidden in one of the magic cupboards at
68 Hogwarts. But that's not a problem because:
69
70 1. this is gentoo
71 2. anaconda is these days less brain dead than it used to be
72
73 Performance wise, it does well. The LVM and mdamd layers do their work
74 in a fraction of the time it takes to get the data on/off the disk
75 platters. In fact, Linux software usually outperforms most of those
76 stupid el-cheapo we-say-it's-hardware-raid-but-actually-isn't raid
77 controllers in low end hardware
78
79 alan
83 Optimists say the glass is half full,
84 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
85 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
86
87 Alan McKinnon
88 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
89 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
90 --
91 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list