From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: 500 meg / partition (including /boot) *WITHOUT USING LVM*
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 12:44:38
1 On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 12:19:29 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > emerged openoffice lately? :-)
4 >
5 > It pretty much always fails if you have <5G in /var/tmp/portage. On a
6 > laptop, that's 8% of my total disk space just sitting there free
7 > waiting for the day I emerge openoffice again. Umounting /var to reduce
8 > it is such a huge pita that I made /var/tmp/portage a separate volume
9 > and now reduce it at will.
10
11 Or point PORTAGE_TMPDIR to another partition. I have a partition that I
12 use for large temporary files, be they ISO images, video files or portage
13 build directories. That leaves /var free for important stuff.
17 Neil Bothwick
18
19 Never knock on Death's door. Ring the doorbell and run. He hates that.