From: Remy Blank <remy.blank@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: 500 meg / partition (including /boot) *WITHOUT USING LVM*
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 11:37:19
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > You have software compiled in the kernel, not as a module the, right?
3
4 Correct.
5
6 > A reduce might be a different case altogether. BUT, it's not an
7 > especially different operation to a defrag on Windows, and I have yet
8 > to see a Windows admin debate whether he should defrag or not based on
9 > the possibility of losing power halfway through...
10
11 I only ever defrag drives that are either on a laptop, or a server with
12 a UPS. You can't be too careful on Windows...
13
14 > emerged openoffice lately? :-)
15
16 Nope, only openoffice-bin. Can't see a reason to have the fan of my
17 laptop blow like hell for 12 hours in a row, when I can have it in a few
18 seconds :-)
19
20 The /var/tmp/portage argument is still a valid one, though.
21
22 > Performance wise, it does well. The LVM and mdamd layers do their work
23 > in a fraction of the time it takes to get the data on/off the disk
24 > platters. In fact, Linux software usually outperforms most of those
25 > stupid el-cheapo we-say-it's-hardware-raid-but-actually-isn't raid
26 > controllers in low end hardware
27
28 Thanks a lot for your feedback. I think you and Neil triggered yet
29 another server reorganization (but it seems like this will be the last one).
30
31 -- Remy