From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Filthy oscilloscope picture! =P
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2015 11:15:20
1 On Sunday 23 Aug 2015 01:11:03 Fernando Rodriguez wrote:
2 > On Saturday, August 22, 2015 3:19:50 PM Alan Grimes wrote:
3 > > Isn't this the filthiest oscilloscope u've seen recently?
4 > >
5 > > The only bare metal contact that I could safely use to get a reading off
6 > > was a +12v line on a spare PCI-E gpu plug. The ground reference is the
7 > > chassis.
8 > >
9 > > You can see the machine's settings in the photo clearly enough. The
10 > > waveform is fairly constant, it stays in this mode most of the time but
11 > > sometimes goes into a "low ripple" mode where the ripple falls to +/-
12 > > 20mv and holds tight. The scaling indicates the upward spikes are around
13 > > 0.120 volts and the downward spikes are about 0.22 volts. This
14 > > __SHOULD__ be within the input tolerances of the motherboard's
15 > > regulators.
16 >
17 > Regulators don't filter noise, they introduce it. Capacitors do that as
18 > somebody pointed on the other thread.
19 >
20 > So if you're on a tight budget and you have an electronics surplus store
21 > nearby you can replace all the capacitors on your mobo and PSU (except the
22 > big bulky ones on the PSU) for about $3.
23
24 It is quite likely that only the secondary circuit on the PSU needs to have
25 its electrolytic capacitors replaced. We're talking of anything between one
26 to half a dozen of capacitors. In all likelihood less than a $1 to $3. If
27 any are even slightly domed I'd start with those and spend no more than a few
28 cents.
29
30 Primary circuit ceramic capacitors (transient protection) could have been
31 affected if the PSU was submitted to high surges in the mains supply. I had
32 one go bad on me after sheet lightning hit the area once. Its replacement
33 along with a resistor fixed the PSU without any further problems and to much
34 of my surprise - I thought it was a gonner!
35
36 Domed capacitors on the MoBo is a different story. Quite likely other
37 components would have been affected and many of them are surface mounted.
38 You'll need a magnifying glass and steady hands for those. It is not
39 something I would attempt in haste, as it is easy to damage more components
40 than what you fix on a MoBo. YMMV.
41
42 PS. Noisy PSUs are nothing new. The noise is can be caused by the capacitors,
43 or the coils. Although annoying it does not necessarily mean that there is an
44 electrical problem with the components. If the fan is rattling, then a drop
45 of oil on its bearing should soon put a stop to this. As Dale mentioned, a
46 stalled fan will not help the longevity of the remaining components. :-)
49 Regards,
50 Mick