From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Filthy oscilloscope picture! =P
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2015 00:12:03
1 On Saturday, August 22, 2015 3:19:50 PM Alan Grimes wrote:
2 > Isn't this the filthiest oscilloscope u've seen recently?
3 >
4 > The only bare metal contact that I could safely use to get a reading off
5 > was a +12v line on a spare PCI-E gpu plug. The ground reference is the
6 > chassis.
7 >
8 > You can see the machine's settings in the photo clearly enough. The
9 > waveform is fairly constant, it stays in this mode most of the time but
10 > sometimes goes into a "low ripple" mode where the ripple falls to +/-
11 > 20mv and holds tight. The scaling indicates the upward spikes are around
12 > 0.120 volts and the downward spikes are about 0.22 volts. This
13 > __SHOULD__ be within the input tolerances of the motherboard's regulators.
14
15 Regulators don't filter noise, they introduce it. Capacitors do that as
16 somebody pointed on the other thread.
17
18 So if you're on a tight budget and you have an electronics surplus store
19 nearby you can replace all the capacitors on your mobo and PSU (except the big
20 bulky ones on the PSU) for about $3.
21
22 > I would call this PSU marginal, it absolutely does power the machine but
23 > it's noise output is a bit larger than what I would prefer.
24 >
25 > Given that i'm flat on my ass broke with a foreclosure over my head, I
26 > am powerfully inclined to continue to live with the PSU the way it is
27 > now until it is no longer possible to do so.
28 >
29 > I had to use my windows 7 machine to get the photo off my camera because
30 > digikam does not compile. =|
35 Fernando Rodriguez