From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 1st Install
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 15:44:57
1 On Thursday 14 July 2005 16:39, Mark Humphrey wrote:
2 > Hi there
3 >
4 > I'm new to Gentoo and I'm currently running WinXP at home. I'd like to
5 > know how I should go about an installation with release 2005.0 to make
6 > it a dual boot with XP, but upgrade to KDE 3.4.1?
9 first, read the instructions on gentoo.org. If you do not want to print
10 everything, you should at least take some notes.
11 Read them again, look out for other helpfull guides.
12 The examples are always helpfull, you might want to write them down, too.
13
14 After that use your favorite partition tool, to make some free space on your
15 harddisk. PartitionMagic should be able to do this and a lot more. google is
16 your friend
17
18 Boot from the gentoo cd. Now use cfdisk to make at least two partitions into
19 the free space, / and /boot.
20 Do not use PartitionMagic to create the linux-partitions!
21 This will sometimes cause some very delicate problems.
22
23 After that, install into that partitions like described in the guides.
24
25 Will take 24h- some days, depends on your CPU and ram.
26 --
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list