From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 1st Install
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 19:04:13
1 At Thu, 14 Jul 2005 17:38:43 +0200 Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2
3 > On Thursday 14 July 2005 16:39, Mark Humphrey wrote:
4 >> Hi there
5 >>
6 >> I'm new to Gentoo and I'm currently running WinXP at home. I'd like to
7 >> know how I should go about an installation with release 2005.0 to make
8 >> it a dual boot with XP, but upgrade to KDE 3.4.1?
11 > first, read the instructions on gentoo.org. If you do not want to print
12 > everything, you should at least take some notes.
13 > Read them again, look out for other helpfull guides.
14 > The examples are always helpfull, you might want to write them down, too.
15 >
16 > After that use your favorite partition tool, to make some free space on your
17 > harddisk. PartitionMagic should be able to do this and a lot more. google is
18 > your friend
19 >
20 > Boot from the gentoo cd. Now use cfdisk to make at least two partitions into
21 > the free space, / and /boot.
22
23 Don't you also need swap? /boot is desirable, but not required.
24
25 > Do not use PartitionMagic to create the linux-partitions! This will
26 > sometimes cause some very delicate problems.
27 >
28 > After that, install into that partitions like described in the guides.
29 >
30 > Will take 24h- some days, depends on your CPU and ram.
31
32 Very good advice.
33
34 Good luck,