From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: accented characters in KDE apps
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 15:03:35
1 120226 Jörg Schaible wrote:
2 > Philip Webb wrote:
3 >> In Gvim I can enter 'e-umlaut' via the keystrokes 'control-k e : ', ie ë .
4 >> Kate has a Vi mode, which seems to reproduce Vim fairly well,
5 >> but there's no sign of 'control-k' or any substitute.
6 >> KDE System Settings has a menu for setting a compose key,
7 >> but tests with 'left-control' & 'pause' in Konsole & Kate did nothing.
8 >> I tried in Kate with Luxi Mono & Courier(IBM), Konsole with LM &
9 >> Fixed(Misc). I don't have the KDE desktop pkgs installed, but use many
10 >> apps & it shouldn't make a difference.
11 >> Does anyone know if & how accented characters cb entered in KDE apps ?
12 > On a German keyboard layout I type AltGr+ü and then the letter: äöüïëÿ
13
14 I don't want to change keyboard layouts, which isn't needed with Gvim.
15
16 I booted into Mandriva 10 Spring, which I have on another partition
17 but don't use except for testing stuff occasionally, & got it to work there :
18 SystemSettings -> C/R + Language -> KeyboardLayout -> Advanced
19 -> Compose key position -> Left Ctl ; Kwrite complies : 'Ctl c ,' -> 'ç' .
20
21 KDE System Settings in my usual Gentoo system doesn't show C/R+Language,
22 but offers the Compose-key options under Hardware -> Keyboard -> Advanced.
23
24 I don't have the whole of KDE installed, only what I need
25 to support the apps I use, so perhaps there's a pkg I need to add.
26
27 Does anyone have further suggestions ?
28
29 Thanks for those offered so far.
33 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
34 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
35 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca