From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Booting Gentoo from USB stick
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 07:27:11
1 On Tuesday 21 September 2010 07:35:13 Jake Moe wrote:
2 > On 16/09/10 21:30, J. Roeleveld wrote:
3
4 <snipped old stuff>
5
6 > > Please bear in mind, I have not actually used nor needed a ramdisk to
7 > > boot from ever since I started using Gentoo.
8 > > Not even when I played with booting from USB-sticks myself.
9 > > I simply build the kernel with all the necessary drivers compiled-in and
10 > > used that to boot from.
11 > >
12 > > This might also be an idea for you?
13 > >
14 > > --
15 > > Joost
16 > >
17 > > Eg. if you do the mknod-commands to build the /dev/sda, /dev/sda1,....
18 > > device nodes, then it should be able to continue.
19 >
20 > Well, I've finally gotten this to work with a manually config'ed
21 > kernel. Before, I was only getting kernel panics. Now, after your
22 > comment "all compiled-in", I took the old config I tried, did a sed to
23 > change all "=m" to "=y", and recompiled, and it worked. So obviously,
24 > there was some option that I wasn't building into the kernel (only as a
25 > module) that was needed to start from USB.
26
27 That's generally a good way to start, stick everything in the kernel :)
28
29 > I had previously started from a working config I had previously used for
30 > the same model PC that I was doing my testing on, and just changed the
31 > USB drivers from modules to built-in, but apparently that's not enough.
32 > Any ideas what else is needed for a USB-stick boot that's not needed in
33 > a SATA boot? I'd like to a) find out what I missed, and b) be able to
34 > cull the kernel back down again, so I can build up lots of SATA,
35 > graphics and audio modules to make this able to boot (and work properly)
36 > on other systems.
37
38 Ok, doing this from memory here.
39 To be able to boot from USB, you need (additionally to what you normally
40 have):
41 1) USB Host drivers (OHCI,UHCI,EHCI,...)
42 2) USB Mass Storage
43 3) file system on the USB-stick
44 4) SCSI-disk (USB Mass storage depends on this)
45
46 If others can also have a quick look on this list to check that I didn't miss
47 anything?
50 Joost