From: Jake Moe <jakesaddress@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Booting Gentoo from USB stick
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 05:35:55
1 On 16/09/10 21:30, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Thursday 16 September 2010 12:01:43 Jake Moe wrote:
3 >> On 09/16/10 16:22, J. Roeleveld wrote:
4 >>> On Thursday 16 September 2010 00:34:39 Jake Moe wrote:
5 >>>> On 16/09/10 08:26, Dale wrote:
6 >>>>> Jake Moe wrote:
7 >>>>>> Thanks for that, I'll rebuild the genkernel with blkid support.
8 >>>>>>
9 >>>>>> As to the second suggestion, there is *no* /dev/sda1 (the partition in
10 >>>>>> question). It just doesn't exist for some reason. However, fstab
11 >>>>>> shows that it's mounted, and /sys/block has entries for the disk, so
12 >>>>>> I'm not sure why it's dropped out. I'm guessing it has something to
13 >>>>>> do with udevd, or uevents? Because shortly before that, I tell it to
14 >>>>>> find the root partition at /dev/sda1, and it starts to boot, but then
15 >>>>>> it loses it.
16 >>>>>>
17 >>>>>> Jake Moe
18 >>>>> The file fstab doesn't show what is mounted. Either use the command
19 >>>>> "mount" with no options or cat /etc/mtab to see what is actually
20 >>>>> mounted.
21 >>>>>
22 >>>>> Dale
23 >>>>>
24 >>>>> :-) :-)
25 >>>> Gah, it's too early. That's what I meant to say (and previously said in
26 >>>> my original post): when I run "mount", it shows /dev/sda1 is mounted on
27 >>>> /.
28 >>>>
29 >>>> Jake Moe
30 >>> I wonder if it looses the "/dev" tree when it mounts the root-partition
31 >>> read only prior to running the fsck.
32 >>> That could explain why it's not there.
33 >>>
34 >>> Try building a dummy /dev-tree on your root partition with the correct
35 >>> device- nodes hardcoded for /dev/sdxxxxxx and see how far you get then?
36 >>>
37 >>> --
38 >>> Joost
39 >> Erm, you've gone a bit beyond my knowledge there. Are you saying I
40 >> should go into the maintenance console, create a dummy /devdir, and try
41 >> to mknod the hard drive? I assume I'd use something like 'mknod
42 >> /dev/sda c 8 0'? If not, what do you mean, cause you've lost me.
43 >>
44 >> Jake Moe
45 > Ok, what I mean is that I think the following might happen:
46 >
47 > 1) root-dir from ramdisk is mounted under /
48 > 2) dev-tree is mounted under /dev
49 > 3) /dev/sda1 is mounted under /
50 > 4) at this point, /dev might no longer be accessible.
51 >
52 > Now, if you make sure that on the USB-root (/dev/sda1) the folder /dev is
53 > actually populated, then it might continue through the boot-process.
54 >
55 > Or, as you mentioned, issue "mknod ......." commands while in that
56 > maintenance console, then it might be able to find the /dev/sda, /dev/sda1,...
57 > devices and continue.
58 >
59 > Please bear in mind, I have not actually used nor needed a ramdisk to boot
60 > from ever since I started using Gentoo.
61 > Not even when I played with booting from USB-sticks myself.
62 > I simply build the kernel with all the necessary drivers compiled-in and used
63 > that to boot from.
64 >
65 > This might also be an idea for you?
66 >
67 > --
68 > Joost
69 >
70 > Eg. if you do the mknod-commands to build the /dev/sda, /dev/sda1,.... device
71 > nodes, then it should be able to continue.
72 >
73 Well, I've finally gotten this to work with a manually config'ed
74 kernel. Before, I was only getting kernel panics. Now, after your
75 comment "all compiled-in", I took the old config I tried, did a sed to
76 change all "=m" to "=y", and recompiled, and it worked. So obviously,
77 there was some option that I wasn't building into the kernel (only as a
78 module) that was needed to start from USB.
79
80 I had previously started from a working config I had previously used for
81 the same model PC that I was doing my testing on, and just changed the
82 USB drivers from modules to built-in, but apparently that's not enough.
83 Any ideas what else is needed for a USB-stick boot that's not needed in
84 a SATA boot? I'd like to a) find out what I missed, and b) be able to
85 cull the kernel back down again, so I can build up lots of SATA,
86 graphics and audio modules to make this able to boot (and work properly)
87 on other systems.
88
89 Jake Moe