From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Booting Gentoo from USB stick
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 11:30:57
1 On Thursday 16 September 2010 12:01:43 Jake Moe wrote:
2 > On 09/16/10 16:22, J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 > > On Thursday 16 September 2010 00:34:39 Jake Moe wrote:
4 > >> On 16/09/10 08:26, Dale wrote:
5 > >>> Jake Moe wrote:
6 > >>>> Thanks for that, I'll rebuild the genkernel with blkid support.
7 > >>>>
8 > >>>> As to the second suggestion, there is *no* /dev/sda1 (the partition in
9 > >>>> question). It just doesn't exist for some reason. However, fstab
10 > >>>> shows that it's mounted, and /sys/block has entries for the disk, so
11 > >>>> I'm not sure why it's dropped out. I'm guessing it has something to
12 > >>>> do with udevd, or uevents? Because shortly before that, I tell it to
13 > >>>> find the root partition at /dev/sda1, and it starts to boot, but then
14 > >>>> it loses it.
15 > >>>>
16 > >>>> Jake Moe
17 > >>>
18 > >>> The file fstab doesn't show what is mounted. Either use the command
19 > >>> "mount" with no options or cat /etc/mtab to see what is actually
20 > >>> mounted.
21 > >>>
22 > >>> Dale
23 > >>>
24 > >>> :-) :-)
25 > >>
26 > >> Gah, it's too early. That's what I meant to say (and previously said in
27 > >> my original post): when I run "mount", it shows /dev/sda1 is mounted on
28 > >> /.
29 > >>
30 > >> Jake Moe
31 > >
32 > > I wonder if it looses the "/dev" tree when it mounts the root-partition
33 > > read only prior to running the fsck.
34 > > That could explain why it's not there.
35 > >
36 > > Try building a dummy /dev-tree on your root partition with the correct
37 > > device- nodes hardcoded for /dev/sdxxxxxx and see how far you get then?
38 > >
39 > > --
40 > > Joost
41 >
42 > Erm, you've gone a bit beyond my knowledge there. Are you saying I
43 > should go into the maintenance console, create a dummy /devdir, and try
44 > to mknod the hard drive? I assume I'd use something like 'mknod
45 > /dev/sda c 8 0'? If not, what do you mean, cause you've lost me.
46 >
47 > Jake Moe
48
49 Ok, what I mean is that I think the following might happen:
50
51 1) root-dir from ramdisk is mounted under /
52 2) dev-tree is mounted under /dev
53 3) /dev/sda1 is mounted under /
54 4) at this point, /dev might no longer be accessible.
55
56 Now, if you make sure that on the USB-root (/dev/sda1) the folder /dev is
57 actually populated, then it might continue through the boot-process.
58
59 Or, as you mentioned, issue "mknod ......." commands while in that
60 maintenance console, then it might be able to find the /dev/sda, /dev/sda1,...
61 devices and continue.
62
63 Please bear in mind, I have not actually used nor needed a ramdisk to boot
64 from ever since I started using Gentoo.
65 Not even when I played with booting from USB-sticks myself.
66 I simply build the kernel with all the necessary drivers compiled-in and used
67 that to boot from.
68
69 This might also be an idea for you?
72 Joost
73
74 Eg. if you do the mknod-commands to build the /dev/sda, /dev/sda1,.... device
75 nodes, then it should be able to continue.