From: Jake Moe <jakesaddress@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Booting Gentoo from USB stick
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 10:03:06
1 On 09/16/10 16:22, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Thursday 16 September 2010 00:34:39 Jake Moe wrote:
3 >> On 16/09/10 08:26, Dale wrote:
4 >>> Jake Moe wrote:
5 >>>> Thanks for that, I'll rebuild the genkernel with blkid support.
6 >>>>
7 >>>> As to the second suggestion, there is *no* /dev/sda1 (the partition in
8 >>>> question). It just doesn't exist for some reason. However, fstab shows
9 >>>> that it's mounted, and /sys/block has entries for the disk, so I'm not
10 >>>> sure why it's dropped out. I'm guessing it has something to do with
11 >>>> udevd, or uevents? Because shortly before that, I tell it to find the
12 >>>> root partition at /dev/sda1, and it starts to boot, but then it loses
13 >>>> it.
14 >>>>
15 >>>> Jake Moe
16 >>> The file fstab doesn't show what is mounted. Either use the command
17 >>> "mount" with no options or cat /etc/mtab to see what is actually mounted.
18 >>>
19 >>> Dale
20 >>>
21 >>> :-) :-)
22 >> Gah, it's too early. That's what I meant to say (and previously said in
23 >> my original post): when I run "mount", it shows /dev/sda1 is mounted on /.
24 >>
25 >> Jake Moe
26 > I wonder if it looses the "/dev" tree when it mounts the root-partition read
27 > only prior to running the fsck.
28 > That could explain why it's not there.
29 >
30 > Try building a dummy /dev-tree on your root partition with the correct device-
31 > nodes hardcoded for /dev/sdxxxxxx and see how far you get then?
32 >
33 > --
34 > Joost
35 >
36 Erm, you've gone a bit beyond my knowledge there. Are you saying I
37 should go into the maintenance console, create a dummy /devdir, and try
38 to mknod the hard drive? I assume I'd use something like 'mknod
39 /dev/sda c 8 0'? If not, what do you mean, cause you've lost me.
40
41 Jake Moe