From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Booting Gentoo from USB stick
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 06:23:48
1 On Thursday 16 September 2010 00:34:39 Jake Moe wrote:
2 > On 16/09/10 08:26, Dale wrote:
3 > > Jake Moe wrote:
4 > >> Thanks for that, I'll rebuild the genkernel with blkid support.
5 > >>
6 > >> As to the second suggestion, there is *no* /dev/sda1 (the partition in
7 > >> question). It just doesn't exist for some reason. However, fstab shows
8 > >> that it's mounted, and /sys/block has entries for the disk, so I'm not
9 > >> sure why it's dropped out. I'm guessing it has something to do with
10 > >> udevd, or uevents? Because shortly before that, I tell it to find the
11 > >> root partition at /dev/sda1, and it starts to boot, but then it loses
12 > >> it.
13 > >>
14 > >> Jake Moe
15 > >
16 > > The file fstab doesn't show what is mounted. Either use the command
17 > > "mount" with no options or cat /etc/mtab to see what is actually mounted.
18 > >
19 > > Dale
20 > >
21 > > :-) :-)
22 >
23 > Gah, it's too early. That's what I meant to say (and previously said in
24 > my original post): when I run "mount", it shows /dev/sda1 is mounted on /.
25 >
26 > Jake Moe
27
28 I wonder if it looses the "/dev" tree when it mounts the root-partition read
29 only prior to running the fsck.
30 That could explain why it's not there.
31
32 Try building a dummy /dev-tree on your root partition with the correct device-
33 nodes hardcoded for /dev/sdxxxxxx and see how far you get then?
36 Joost