From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] virtualbox + kernel panic 2.6.38-r2
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 19:56:43
1 On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 12:11 PM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 2011-05-31 1:31 PM, James wrote:
3 >> The only thing I've read online that may be applicable is that there
4 >> have been some issues with kernel panics when you give the guest OS
5 >> more than 1 processor. It would suck badly if SMP didn't work well on
6 >> vbox.
7 >
8 > My understanding is it is a general rule that you never give any VM more
9 > than one processor, regardless of which vm hypervisor you are running...
12 My platform is a Gentoo i7-980 Extreme processor so I have 12 CPUs (6
13 cores * 2 for hyperthreading)
14
15 In Virtualbox I'm running both Gentoo and Win 7 VMs, each allocated 4
16 processors. In Win 7 I have one app that uses everything it can find
17 so when it's running all 4 processors are 100% utilized. In Linux I
18 see the CPU usage at 33%. Win 7 is sluggish when this app is running
19 as it hogs from the system
20
21 In VMWare Player I'm running Win XP VMs with 2 processors. None of my
22 apps in XP use more than 1 processor. XP itself is quite responsive
23 even when these apps are using 1 of the 2 processors dedicated the the
24 VM.
25
26 I seldom run more than 1 app in any Windows VM as I don't trust
27 Windows. I've not had any problems with any of these VMs that I'd
28 associate with using multiple cores.
29
30 And yes, I do own these Windows licenses. VMs keep that money useful
31 until some day some Linux apps come along that do what these do for me
32 in Windows.
33
34 - Mark