From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to prevent portage from installing masked package
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2018 18:05:08
1 On Sat, 06 Oct 2018 09:32:24 -0400,
2 Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >
4 > On Sat, Oct 6, 2018 at 9:12 AM John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > On Sat, 06 Oct 2018 08:26:15 -0400,
7 > > Neil Bothwick wrote:
8 > > >
9 > > > [1 <text/plain; US-ASCII (quoted-printable)>]
10 > > > On Sat, 06 Oct 2018 07:05:52 -0400, John Covici wrote:
11 > > >
12 > > > > Hi. I am in a situation where portage wants to install a package
13 > > > > which I have masked. Its wants to do this
14 > > > > [ebuild U #] x11-libs/gtk+-3.24.1:3::mv [3.22.30:3::gentoo]
15 > > > > but I want to keep the old one. Why is this happening and how can I
16 > > > > preventthe install of the newer gtk+ which breaks some accessibility
17 > > > > features?
18 > > >
19 > > > It's difficult to say without seeing the portage output but it is
20 > > > probably a package that needs the newer version. Add -t to the emerge
21 > > > command to see what requires the later GTK+, you'll probably need to mask
22 > > > that too.
23 > >
24 > > OK, I thought it would just either refuse or tell me something, but I
25 > > will do that and see what I see. Thanks.
28 > It is already doing both.
29 >
30 > It is refusing to install the masked package, which is why it is
31 > aborting, and probably suggesting that you unmask it. Likewise the
32 > big hash tag in the output is noting that is masked currently.
33 >
34 > The problem is that you're probably also telling portage something
35 > contradictory, like installing some package that requires the newer
36 > version of gtk+ (probably from your world set). So, it isn't doing
37 > that either, and is giving you a bunch of output.
38 >
39 > Impossible to guess what the issue is without the full output, but as
40 > suggested sticking --tree and --verbose in there would help. That
41 > will show the dependency relationships, and also USE flags which might
42 > be triggering them.
43 >
44 > If you have a package masked and nothing else is trying to pull it in,
45 > then portage will more quietly ignore it. It is calling the situation
46 > to your attention because one way or another it won't be doing
47 > something you currently want it to (keeping some other package
48 > up-to-date, but also not installing this version of gtk+).
49
50 So, I have not been able to figure this out, it did not abort and
51 wants to install the masked package, so hear is the whole output ---
52 thanks for all your help.

tree_update.txt text/plain