From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Has semantic-desktop really become compulsatory for kmail?
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 15:51:30
1 chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
2 > On Thursday 11 February 2010 16:32:02 Dale wrote:
5 >> Can you nice the thing too? That would work. I set emerge to 5 and I
6 >> can't even tell that emerge is running most of the time. There may be
7 >> times when I can but it is rare.
8 >>
9 >> I just don't get this thing that indexing is a resource hog. I notice
10 >> updatedb running at night. I have 329Gbs of "data" and updatedb only
11 >> takes a few minutes. How is that a resource "hog"? My machine is not
12 >> as old as some but it is slow going by the new machines that are out
13 >> now. It's a AMD 2500+ with 2Gbs of ram. I have had Linux on machines
14 >> as slow as 133MHz but never felt the need to disable indexing.
17 > No need for any of that.
18 >
19 > Walter is just being a prick, talking out of a hole in his arse with the some
20 > total of "truth = 0"
21 >
22 > Apologies for the French. I cannot resist. Dimwits annoy me greatly.
26 Maybe he is trying to run Linux on a Vic-20? I think it was a blazing
27 4MHz or something like that. Seriously tho, the slowest rig I had Linux
28 on was 133MHz. It had some really old slow drives in it, something like
29 15MBs/sec, and I never saw the need to disable updatedb or other
30 indexing software. It just doesn't use that much.
31
32 Anything made in the last few years should be able to handle that with
33 no problems. Heck, my 6 year old rig does fine.
34
35 Dale
36