From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Has semantic-desktop really become compulsatory for kmail?
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 14:45:12
1 On Thursday 11 February 2010 16:32:02 Dale wrote:
2
3 > Can you nice the thing too? That would work. I set emerge to 5 and I
4 > can't even tell that emerge is running most of the time. There may be
5 > times when I can but it is rare.
6 >
7 > I just don't get this thing that indexing is a resource hog. I notice
8 > updatedb running at night. I have 329Gbs of "data" and updatedb only
9 > takes a few minutes. How is that a resource "hog"? My machine is not
10 > as old as some but it is slow going by the new machines that are out
11 > now. It's a AMD 2500+ with 2Gbs of ram. I have had Linux on machines
12 > as slow as 133MHz but never felt the need to disable indexing.
15 No need for any of that.
16
17 Walter is just being a prick, talking out of a hole in his arse with the some
18 total of "truth = 0"
19
20 Apologies for the French. I cannot resist. Dimwits annoy me greatly.
24 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com