From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: KDE-4.1 apps render slowly
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2008 17:56:36
1 On Samstag, 9. August 2008, Filipe Sousa wrote:
2 > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 > > Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > >
5 > > Volker already mentioned the driver problem. If you wonder *why* the
6 > > drivers are broken:
7 > >
8 > > GeForce 8xxx and 9xxx series almost completely lack 2D acceleration
9 > > hardware. The 3D engine of the hardware must be used to render 2D stuff
10 > > (including video). NVidia has not really implemented this for their
11 > > Linux drivers yet. Right now, GeForce 5, 6 and 7 series is much faster
12 > > with 2D on linux than GeForce 8 and 9.
13 >
14 > I have one 8800gt and 7300 and the 7300 it's not faster than 8800. Using
15 > xrender is slow and the opengl render is not better. The ATI on my
16 > laptop isn't any better.
17 >
18 > Both kde 4 and qt 4 are terribly slow with graphics.
19
20 from the threads I posted it should be clear that kde4/qt4 are not the only
21 ones affected. gtk is slow too. So is firefox. On Intel integrated graphics,
22 qt4/kde4 is fast and fluid. That should give someone food for thought.
23
24 I bought an Ati because I was fed up - and while it is not perfect, it is so
25 much better that I am glad that I did the jump. Using xshm instead of xv for
26 video is a small price, for not having to wait several seconds until the
27 desktop reacts on a right mouse click or have krunner work as soon as it is
28 open.
29
30 Also the 7300 is a bad example - it is a very slow card. And the big 8 and 9
31 cards hide some of the slowness because they are so powerfull that it makes up
32 for some of the shitty drivers.
33
34 The worst part - Nvidia knows about this for ages - and nothing happend.