From: Filipe Sousa <natros@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: KDE-4.1 apps render slowly
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2008 17:02:12
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 > Volker already mentioned the driver problem. If you wonder *why* the
5 > drivers are broken:
6 >
7 > GeForce 8xxx and 9xxx series almost completely lack 2D acceleration
8 > hardware. The 3D engine of the hardware must be used to render 2D stuff
9 > (including video). NVidia has not really implemented this for their
10 > Linux drivers yet. Right now, GeForce 5, 6 and 7 series is much faster
11 > with 2D on linux than GeForce 8 and 9.
12
13 I have one 8800gt and 7300 and the 7300 it's not faster than 8800. Using
14 xrender is slow and the opengl render is not better. The ATI on my
15 laptop isn't any better.
16
17 Both kde 4 and qt 4 are terribly slow with graphics.