From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: mysql to postgresql migration
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 17:40:45
1 J. Roeleveld <joost <at> antarean.org> writes:
4 > >I recently ran across this script: py-mysql2pgsql [1]
5 > >and this discussion on it's origin [2]. I'm keenly interested
6 > >in the recommendations of others for migrating mysql databases
7 > >to postgresql and any comments on this aforementioned script
8 > >or other methodologies....
9 > >[1] https://github.com/philipsoutham/py-mysql2pgsql
10 > >[2]
11 > >http://www.tryolabs.com/Blog/2012/02/10/django-migrating-mysql-
12 postgresql/
13 > James,
14
15 > I haven't looked into this recently. But I believe that the DDLs and data
16 > can be migrated relatively easy.
17
18 > Just be aware that software specifically written using MySQLs version of >
19 SQL is unlikely to work on a different RDBMS without extensive rewrites.
20
21 So, If you run the same program, say gnucash, on top of mysql, then migrate
22 the mysql dB it to pgsql, it will require an extensive rewrite?
23
24 This shouild be an easy example, which is quite common (google).
25 So, let's just say that I run across mysql --> pgsql quite often to the
26 point that it's time for me to develop some slick_skills here.
27
28 > This is the biggest problem people are facing when porting websites
29 > to use a different database.
30 > What is the reason for migrating and what kind of data and
31 > applications are you using?
32 > Joost
33
34 Another more serious problem:
35 I'm not porting websites, but more working on science applications with
36 huge data. Some of it is organized via mysql, others are more
37 in the form of vary large test vectors (matricies) that are sparsely
38 populated. Others portions are double float or other forms of scientific
39 data. So in this case there is not a one-2-one semantic. But, I do
40 need to extract (dump?) mysql into a form where I can later
41 include it into a much larger, designed from the ground floor up,
42 pgsql dB. I relaize this sort of effort is unique, but surely some
43 additional slick_tools exist for this sort of effort?
46 Actually, some good articles, book, wikis, etc, would be keen too?
49 James