From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: dual boot: XP installed last?
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:56:59
1 On Monday 30 October 2006 18:11, james wrote:
2 > Allan Spagnol Comar <allan.comar <at> gmail.com> writes:
3 > > you just have to rerun grub setup.
4 >
5 > Hmmmm,
6 >
7 > If I install XP in the partition and it writes over the MBR,
8 > then, upon reboot, how do I get to grub.conf so I have the
9 > option to reboot the gentoo, then run grub setup?
10
11 Boot off a rescue or live cd and reinstall grub from that environment
12
13 > something like this for my previously shown setup?:
14 > grub> root (hd0,0) (Specify where your /boot partition resides)
15 > grub> setup (hd0) (Install GRUB in the MBR)
16 > grub> quit (Exit the GRUB shell)
17 >
18 > Do I run grub setup when XP is booted up?
19
20 This won't work - grub-install is a Linux program and it can't run under
21 XP
22
23 > Should I use a lived CD to boot up and fix grub?
24
25 Yes
26
27 > easy and painless is what I had in mind...
28
29 LiveCD is easy and painless. However you are reqauired to think and not
30 leave that step up to the machine as some other OS vendors would like
31 you to do :-)
32
33 > Not to mention any potential gotchas....
34
35 If grub was previosuly successfully installed ont he machine there are
36 no gotchas worth mentioning
37
38 alan
43 > James