From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Now Know Why Portage Is So Slow
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 02:35:55
1 On Friday 26 May 2006 04:12, Lord Sauron wrote:
2 > sorry for my sin. I didn't know about eix.
3 >
4 > On 5/25/06, Bo Ørsted Andresen <bo.andresen@××××.dk> wrote:
5 > > Friday 26 May 2006 01:00 skrev Lord Sauron:
6 > > > If it's not, then I really need to ask why on earth portage takes so
7 > > > long to just index and search packages that took apt-get much less
8 > > > time to work with. I don't think it should be this slow. I'm not
9 > > > even talking about compile-times - I know and expect those to be slow,
10 > > > but just raw package searching and stuff is not that fast.
11 > >
12 > > Do like the rest of us. emerge eix and use that for searching. Make sure
13 > > to run update-eix everytime you have sync'ed portage or better yet, use
14 > > eix-sync to sync portage.
15 > >
16 > > --
17
18 or better, install esearch. It is as fast as eix, and it comes with esync.
19
20 So instead of emerge sync AND update-eix, you just run esync.
21
22 Has the additional advantage, that it lists all new and updates packages, when
23 the sync is finished.
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list