From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Now Know Why Portage Is So Slow
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 05:53:48
1 Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
2 > On Friday 26 May 2006 04:12, Lord Sauron wrote:
3 >> sorry for my sin. I didn't know about eix.
4 >>
5 >> On 5/25/06, Bo Ørsted Andresen <bo.andresen@××××.dk> wrote:
6 >> > Friday 26 May 2006 01:00 skrev Lord Sauron:
7 >> > > If it's not, then I really need to ask why on earth portage takes so
8 >> > > long to just index and search packages that took apt-get much less
9 >> > > time to work with. I don't think it should be this slow. I'm not
10 >> > > even talking about compile-times - I know and expect those to be slow,
11 >> > > but just raw package searching and stuff is not that fast.
12 >> >
13 >> > Do like the rest of us. emerge eix and use that for searching. Make sure
14 >> > to run update-eix everytime you have sync'ed portage or better yet, use
15 >> > eix-sync to sync portage.
16 >> >
17 >> > --
18 >
19 > or better, install esearch. It is as fast as eix, and it comes with esync.
20 >
21 > So instead of emerge sync AND update-eix, you just run esync.
22
23 Sory, I fail to see the advantage.
24
25 eix comes with eix-sync, which will do a emerge --sync and update-eix.
26
27 > Has the additional advantage, that it lists all new and updates packages, when
28 > the sync is finished.
29
30 You don't know eix, do you? Because, what you list here as an "advantage"
31 is no advantage, as eix does the same.
32
33 Alexander Skwar
34 --
35 economist, n:
36 Someone who's good with figures, but doesn't have enough
37 personality to become an accountant.
38 do
39 --
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list