From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Removing KDE 3.5? Or reason to keep it around?
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 05:03:34
1 On 02/26/2010 06:06 AM, BRM wrote:
2 > I am quite happy with KDE4 - presently using KDE 4.3.5. I still have KDE 3.5.10 installed, and am wondering how much longer I need to keep it around...I probably use all KDE4 apps, though there might be a few here or there that I use on a rare occasion that are still KDE3 based...may be...and no, I don't plan on using KDE Sunset Overlay[1]
3 >
4 > Any how...I'm wondering what the best method to remove KDE3.5 safely is:
5 >
6 > 1) Just leave it and may be it'll just get removed?
7 >
8 > 2) Found this entry on removing it
9 > http://linuxized.blogspot.com/2008/10/how-to-unmerge-kde-3-packages-if-their.html
10 >
11 > But nothing registers as a 'dup' even though qlist does show a lot of KDE 3.5.10 packages installed. (Yeah, I'd need to modify the line to ensure it doesn't remove KDE 4.3.5).
12 >
13 > 3) Gentoo KDE4 guide suggests a method, but it seems to be more related to removing KDE entirely...
14 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/kde/kde4-guide.xml
15
16 If you keep your world file (/var/lib/portage/world) tidy, simply
17 deleting all lines with KDE3 packages and running emerge -a --depclean
18 will take care of it.
19
20 You *do* keep your world file tidy, don't you? :P