From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Are "push" backups flawed?
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 18:16:41
1 On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 12:55 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 [snip]
4
5 > The problem with my current push-style layout is that if one of the 3
6 > machines is compromised, the attacker can delete or alter the backup
7 > of the compromised machine on the backup server.  I can rsync the
8 > backups from the backup server to another machine, but if the backups
9 > are deleted or altered on the backup server, the rsync'ed copy on the
10 > next machine will also be deleted or altered.
11
12 As a final stage in your backup, could you trigger a 'pull'-style
13 backup copying the data image to a more secure area? How about setting
14 your backup target on top of lvm, and snapshotting? Some mechanism
15 could be employed so that the snapshot command is run by a more
16 restricted user, and done so after, e.g. a certain amount of idle time
17 in the backup target directory
20 > If I run a pull-style layout and the backup server is compromised, the
21 > attacker would have root read access to each of the 3 machines, but
22 > the attacker would already have access to backups from each of the 3
23 > machines stored on the backup server itself so that's not really an
24 > issue.  I would also have the added inconvenience of using openvpn or
25 > ssh -R for my laptop so the backup server can pull from it through any
26 > router.
27
28 Check out freenet6. I use it so that my laptop has a static, global IP
29 address whether it's on my home network or not. It's quite nice. IPv6
30 in various applications also solves my other direct-access needs.
33 > What do you think guys?  Are push-style backups flawed and unacceptable?
34
35 I imagine you might still want to 'pull' from your backup server; if
36 someone gets a key that allows them to manipulate the behavior of a
37 local process that shouldn't normally be manipulated, your
38 vulnerability surface goes up.
41 :wq