From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Install on ZFS
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 13:44:30
1 John Covici wrote:
2 > On Tue, 15 Aug 2017 08:52:45 -0400,
3 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >> On 15/08/2017 14:49, Grant wrote:
5 >>> I'm trying to get started on my first Gentoo install on ZFS. My
6 >>> remote server is booted to a Gentoo LiveCD and I've SSH'ed in but it
7 >>> looks like the CD doesn't have ZFS tools:
8 >>>
9 >>> livecd ~ # zpool status
10 >>> -bash: zpool: command not found
11 >>>
12 >>> Can I pull this off from here or do I need to mail a different CD to my host?
13 >>>
14 >>> This server has 6 SSDs and I'm planning to set up a 2-way stripe and
15 >>> 3-way mirror. Any tips that might help me pull this off?
16 >>>
17 >>> - Grant
18 >>>
19 >>
20 >> The Gentoo LiveCD is really nothing more than a feel-nice tool for
21 >> people who want to install Gentoo from a Gentoo tool; it is very much
22 >> completely not required.
23 >>
24 >> Do your install from any medium you feel like as long as it has all the
25 >> tools you need.
26 >>
27 >> I suppose you *could* emerge the zfs tools on the running LiveCD system
28 >> if it supports fs merging but it's probably easier to use a medium that
29 >> already has everything you want
30 >
31 > I would like to know which cd has zfs support. I could not find one,
32 > so I wrote some catalyst stuff to make an install cd with zfs support,
33 > but it would be nice if I would not have to do that, a fair bit of
34 > work.
37 Just for giggles, SystemRescueCd maybe?? Gentoo based and it has a lot
38 of tools just not sure on that one.
39
40 Dale
41