From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Install on ZFS
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 13:31:22
1 On Tue, 15 Aug 2017 08:52:45 -0400,
2 Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 > On 15/08/2017 14:49, Grant wrote:
5 > > I'm trying to get started on my first Gentoo install on ZFS. My
6 > > remote server is booted to a Gentoo LiveCD and I've SSH'ed in but it
7 > > looks like the CD doesn't have ZFS tools:
8 > >
9 > > livecd ~ # zpool status
10 > > -bash: zpool: command not found
11 > >
12 > > Can I pull this off from here or do I need to mail a different CD to my host?
13 > >
14 > > This server has 6 SSDs and I'm planning to set up a 2-way stripe and
15 > > 3-way mirror. Any tips that might help me pull this off?
16 > >
17 > > - Grant
21 > The Gentoo LiveCD is really nothing more than a feel-nice tool for
22 > people who want to install Gentoo from a Gentoo tool; it is very much
23 > completely not required.
24 >
25 > Do your install from any medium you feel like as long as it has all the
26 > tools you need.
27 >
28 > I suppose you *could* emerge the zfs tools on the running LiveCD system
29 > if it supports fs merging but it's probably easier to use a medium that
30 > already has everything you want
33 I would like to know which cd has zfs support. I could not find one,
34 so I wrote some catalyst stuff to make an install cd with zfs support,
35 but it would be nice if I would not have to do that, a fair bit of
36 work.
39 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
40 How do
41 you spend it?
42
43 John Covici