From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upside/downside to including config files in quickpkg?
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 00:52:09
1 On Freitag 12 Februar 2010, Dale wrote:
2 > chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
3 > > On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Alan McKinnon<alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
4 wrote:
5 > >> On Friday 12 February 2010 00:13:23 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
6 > >>>> One thing I haven't found so far is what to put in make.conf to get
7 > >>>> the buildpkg feature to include the configs. It's easy at the command
8 > >>>> line. Where's the documentation on how to actually use this the right
9 > >>>> way automatically?
10 > >>>>
11 > >>>>
12 > >>>>
13 > >>>> - Mark
14 > >>>
15 > >>> when you use buildpkg feature the packages contain the virgin unedited
16 > >>> configs as they are installed by the package and not any edits done by
17 > >>> you.
18 > >>
19 > >> Just checking something:
20 > >>
21 > >> We are all aware of the difference between
22 > >>
23 > >> emerge --buildpkg
24 > >>
25 > >> and
26 > >>
27 > >> quickpkg
28 > >>
29 > >> right/
30 > >>
31 > >> --
32 > >> alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
33 > >
34 > > Volker is. I am not sure I am and I'm not sure that Neil was talking
35 > > about quickpkg which is what I am using so far. The command
36 > >
37 > > quickpkg --include-configs
38 > >
39 > > says it includes the configs. That's what I thought we (you and I
40 > > Alan) were talking about.
41 > >
42 > > On the other hand I presumed (apparently incorrectly) that the
43 > > FEATURES="buildpkg" (which is what I think Neil is speaking about)
44 > > gave me the same option but I now guess it doesn't.
45 > >
46 > > If I need to use quickpkg to save the configs then I think I'll do
47 > > that being that as I simple-minded home user with no admin experience
48 > > I have no in-place rigorous methods for doing __any__ backups. I just
49 > > tar up directories once in awhile and deal with the problems that come
50 > > later. (If they come...when they come...they do come, don't they?) ;-)
51 > >
52 > > - Mark
53 >
54 > This is how I understand it. If you use buildpkg with emerge, you get
55 > the original configs from the source tarball. If you use quickpkg, then
56 > you get the config files YOU created. If I understand this correctly,
57 > you can remember it this way as well. Doing it during the emerge gives
58 > you what emerge produces. Doing it with quickpkg gives you what you
59 > produced.
60 >
61 > All that and I didn't confuse myself. So, I'm probably wrong in how I
62 > understand it. lol
63 >
64 > Dale
65 >