From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] lvmetad Errors
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2015 19:25:15
1 On 12/07/2015 20:51, Alex Thorne wrote:
2 > I'm afraid I won't be testing it any time soon -- I don't have any
3 > drives to pair at the moment. As for your comments about dmraid being
4 > 'fake', I'm a little confused. From what you say it sounds like this is
5 > the hardware RAID that comes with many motherboards. Why is hardware
6 > RAID undesirable over software RAID? Presumably the mdraid software
7 > option has an associated performance hit? Is it just that opaque
8 > proprietary firmware can't be trusted with the important task of looking
9 > after our data?
10
11 It's because the "RAID" abilities built into most motherboards are
12 really shitty. Very little, if any, optimization going on, no real
13 intelligence, and the whole thing just looks and feels like it's no more
14 than 2 or more volumes shoved into one group. You would probably be
15 better off adding both disks to ove LVM VG and telling the system to do
16 simple striping or mirroring.
17
18 I always got the feeling that such RAID facilities were little more than
19 a way to get Windows users to have one big disk instead of two smaller
20 ones using the simplest eans possible.
21
22 Proper hardware RAID using a proper RAID adapter is a whole different
23 story. Those tend to have proper firmware and control the disks
24 properly. They do the optimizations you expect, they will reorder writes
25 and do something sane with reads, and are worth the money is you need
26 RAID. However, most still only do a subset of desirable RAID, usually 0,
27 1 and 5.
28
29 Linux software RAID, done in-kernel, is an amazing compromise. It's
30 almost as efficient as good hardware RAID, and covers all bases and RAID
31 types. Yes, it is somewhat more complex and you do have to use
32 management utilities when working with it. It's similarly complex to
33 administrating say LVM (not the same, just same order of magnitude) and
34 comes with the benefit of NOT costing half a server motherboard :-)
38 > On 6 July 2015 at 16:01, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk