From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] lvmetad Errors
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2015 20:46:55
1 On 07/12/2015 12:25 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > It's because the "RAID" abilities built into most motherboards are
3 > really shitty. Very little, if any, optimization going on, no real
4 > intelligence, and the whole thing just looks and feels like it's no more
5 > than 2 or more volumes shoved into one group. You would probably be
6 > better off adding both disks to ove LVM VG and telling the system to do
7 > simple striping or mirroring.
8
9 It can also be noticeable with a slower CPU, as all tasks are offloaded
10 to the CPU. If you are doing I/O heavy tasks (like compiling) it can be
11 very noticeable. Also beware Highpoint cards - quite a few of them are
12 no better than onboard RAID - their prices reflect this.
13
14 > Proper hardware RAID using a proper RAID adapter is a whole different
15 > story. Those tend to have proper firmware and control the disks
16 > properly. They do the optimizations you expect, they will reorder writes
17 > and do something sane with reads, and are worth the money is you need
18 > RAID. However, most still only do a subset of desirable RAID, usually 0,
19 > 1 and 5.
20
21 When I upgraded my mythtv backend with a 9750-8i (a real RAID card ~$800
22 at the time I got it) the difference in I/O performance is staggering.
23 Mine supports RAID 6 and 10 as well.
24
25 > Linux software RAID, done in-kernel, is an amazing compromise. It's
26 > almost as efficient as good hardware RAID, and covers all bases and RAID
27 > types. Yes, it is somewhat more complex and you do have to use
28 > management utilities when working with it. It's similarly complex to
29 > administrating say LVM (not the same, just same order of magnitude) and
30 > comes with the benefit of NOT costing half a server motherboard :-)
31
32 It also has the benefit of being able to recover a RAID on a separate
33 machine. If your RAID HBA goes and you can't find a replacement, you're
34 screwed.
35
36 (Comments are from my first hand experience on my mythtv backend at
37 home, I'd tried Highpoint, motherboard fakeraid, and mdadm before
38 getting a real RAID HBA.)
39
40 Dan