From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's advantage: 'optimized for your system' -- huh?
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 08:06:15
1 On Thursday 05 February 2009 09:57:38 Dale wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On Thursday 05 February 2009 09:28:50 Jesús Guerrero wrote:
4 > >> There are enough easy-to-use distros. Let us, "masochists", live in
5 > >> peace. We love pain, why do people care so much about what we do
6 > >> with our privacy? :P [it's a joke, in case anyone didn't notice]
7 > >>
8 > >> There have been several attempts to make a decent installer. They
9 > >> all failed miserably and got abandoned. Why? Because to tell the
10 > >> truth, no one has an authentic interest in the matter. The simple
11 > >> answer is most probably the right one.
12 > >
13 > > To add to you (excellent) arguments:
14 > >
15 > > There is no GUI admin tool for gentoo. You drive this puppy on the
16 > > command line with tools like emerge, equery, genlop, layman and q. That's
17 > > how it works, we are all comfortable with this, and this is good.
18 > >
19 > > I can't think of a single reason why the installer should operate in a
20 > > different manner to the way the thing will be used.
21 >
22 > Does porthole count? I use it sometimes and it is well all right. I
23 > miss etcat myself. Just as I was starting to get used to it, it
24 > disappeared.
25
26 You're just stirring the pot Dale :-)
27
28 I know for a fact that you can hold your own with emerge and eix :-)
32 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com