From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's advantage: 'optimized for your system' -- huh?
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 07:58:50
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Thursday 05 February 2009 09:28:50 Jesús Guerrero wrote:
3 >
4 >> There are enough easy-to-use distros. Let us, "masochists", live in
5 >> peace. We love pain, why do people care so much about what we do
6 >> with our privacy? :P [it's a joke, in case anyone didn't notice]
7 >>
8 >> There have been several attempts to make a decent installer. They
9 >> all failed miserably and got abandoned. Why? Because to tell the
10 >> truth, no one has an authentic interest in the matter. The simple
11 >> answer is most probably the right one.
14 > To add to you (excellent) arguments:
15 >
16 > There is no GUI admin tool for gentoo. You drive this puppy on the command
17 > line with tools like emerge, equery, genlop, layman and q. That's how it
18 > works, we are all comfortable with this, and this is good.
19 >
20 > I can't think of a single reason why the installer should operate in a
21 > different manner to the way the thing will be used.
26 Does porthole count? I use it sometimes and it is well all right. I
27 miss etcat myself. Just as I was starting to get used to it, it
28 disappeared.
29
30 Dale
31