From: Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] alternate mta's
Date: Sun, 05 May 2013 15:46:44
1 * Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> [130504 16:18]:
2 > On 2013-05-04 3:27 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > On 04/05/2013 18:52, Tanstaafl wrote:
4 > >> Ok, I have msmpt installed and working just fine.
5 > >>
6 > >> Now, all of a sudden, emerge -pvuDN world wants to install mailx.
7 > >>
8 > >> equery depends mailx says rkhunter is pulling it in via virtual/mailx
9 > >>
10 > >> Why isn't this dependency satisfied by the presence of msmtp?
11 > >>
12 > >> And more importantly, how can I fix it without installing mailx?
13 >
14 > > Simplest answer:
15 > >
16 > > It was never done because nobody did it.
17 > >
18 > > Whoever maintains virtual/mailx does so believing they have a decent set
19 > > of implementations available for you to use. There was never any
20 > > guarantee there that all possible satisfiers for virtual/mailx would be
21 > > listed.
22 > >
23 > > File a feature request at b.g.o. if you feel msmtp satsifies virtual/mailx.
24 >
25 > Actually, I'm not really concerned about virtual/mails...
26 >
27 > My question is why does it want to install the full program
28 > 'net-mail/mailx'? That would mean I had two mta's on my system, which
29 > should be a conflict, right? I know if I try to install postfix, it
30 > complains about msmtp as a blocker.
31
32 mailx is an MUA, not an MTA. You can have as many MUAs as you like.