From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Leery of Gnome dependencies for Openoffice
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 14:20:13
1 John J. Foster schreef:
2 > Good morning all,
3 >
4 > I've been running the binary versions of oo for about three months
5 > now, while waiting for v2.0 to become stable. It looks pretty close
6 > to me. I'd very much like to run the regular build procedures, but am
7 > quite worried about what the pulling in of Gnome dependencies will
8 > do do my stable KDE system. About six months ago I installed whatever
9 > version of the Gnome desktop that was stable then, but ended up
10 > spending 3 or 4 days trying to remove all remnants of it after I
11 > decided that I didn't really like it that well.
12 >
13 > Am I being overly concerned here, or are that legitimate problems I
14 > may encounter?
15
16 Does offering to compile -gnome make any difference to the proposed build?
17
18 ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -pv openoffice
19
20 These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
21
22 Calculating dependencies ...done!
23 [blocks B ] app-office/openoffice-bin (is blocking
24 app-office/openoffice-2.0.0)
25 [ebuild N ] sys-libs/pam-0.78-r2 -berkdb -nis -pam_chroot
26 -pam_console -pam_timestamp -pwdb (-selinux) 562 kB
27 [ebuild N ] dev-perl/Archive-Zip-1.16 108 kB
28 [ebuild N ] dev-java/ant-core-1.6.5-r2 -doc -source 6,136 kB
29 [ebuild N ] app-shells/tcsh-6.14-r1 +perl 859 kB
30 [ebuild N ] app-office/openoffice-2.0.0 +curl -eds *+gnome* +java
31 -kde +ldap -mozilla +nas +python +xml2 +zlib 209,311 kB
32
33 I use the -bin, as you can see, and I don't really use ACCEPT_KEYWORDS
34 on the command line (because that's A Bad Thing), but I just wanted to
35 quickly see if the 2.0 version of openoffice had a +gnome keyword, and
36 it does (the stable version doesn't).
37
38 That said, I don't see what the GNOME libs are likely to 'do' to your
39 KDE system-- more likely less damage than the KDE libs generally do to my
40 mostly-GNOME based system, and much less damage than the proposed
41 addition of PAM does to almost any system, ime. What exactly are you worried
42 might happen?
43
44 Holly
45 --