From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] power button to shutdown for openrc?
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2019 08:55:46
1 On Wednesday, 13 November 2019 06:48:11 GMT n952162 wrote:
2 > I've reinstalled gentoo from the gentoo repository and now my power
3 > button doesn't do a shutdown anymore. What do I have to do to have it
4 > issue a shutdown? This is an openrc system.
5 >
6 > I have this, but it doesn't work:
7 >
8 > $ cat /etc/acpi/events/powerbtn
9 > event=button[ /]power.*
10 > action=/sbin/poweroff
11
12 I don't have the above file, only /etc/acpi/events/default, which invokes '/
13 etc/acpi/default.sh' and that's all my systems need to shutdown gracefully
14 when I press the power button.
15
16 NOTE: I only press the power button momentarily. If I press and keep pressed
17 the power button for a few seconds, then the system powers off instantly
18 without a graceful shutdown (a.k.a. I then will get a hard shutdown with no
19 disk syncing or flushing of caches).
22 > On a different gentoo system I have, I have just the one line, the
23 > action line, in that file and the power-button works fine (whether
24 > there's causation there or not, I have no idea :-) )
25
26 Judging from my systems I don't think the file you are using is necessary,
27 unless this is supposed to be a fix for some MoBos which do not work as
28 expected.
31 > I generally do /not/ press the power button while in my window manager,
32 > but first when I've logged off. Since that wasn't working, I tried
33 > inside my window manager ... I got a just a couple of lines that looked
34 > like they came from shutdown(), but too few (couldn't read them).
35 >
36 > Then, on startup, the filesystems needed fscking!!!
37
38 Does the same thing happen if you run '/sbin/shutdown -h now' ?
41 Regards,
42
43 Mick