From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xorg.conf tweaks for HTPC machine?
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 23:01:26
1 On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 05:01:59PM -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 >
3 > > * X now has hardware acceleration
4 >
5 > I ran "emerge -pv --deep --newuse world" to make sure everything was
6 > OK. It wanted to rebuild xorg-server and one other lib after the
7 > changes in "VIDEO_CARDS" in make.conf. While I was at, I decided to
8 > throw in "xvmc" into my USE flags. After the rebuilding was over, I
9 > have video acceleration, but no 1366x768. According to the Xorg.0.log
10 >
11 > I've improved the speed of the video, with hardware acceleration, so
12 > I'll let things be for now. That's my HTPC machine.
13
14 Still pretty ignorant of all these graphic settings. After using Linux for 9
15 years, now I have ATi, nVidia, and Intel graphic chipsets and don't know what
16 to do with them. Prior to migrating to Gentoo last year I just installed the
17 nVidia binary blob from their website.
18
19 Now I've got radeon, nouveau, Intel on most comps -- nvidia-drivers on HTPC.
20
21 > I'm now switching over my regular desktop (Dell Dimension 530 from the
22 > summer of 2007) to hardware accelerated mode. This one wants i915
23 > drivers. I had stuck in an old Nvidia card, which was a bit of a pain...
24 > * I have to rebuild the binary drivers every time I upgrade my kernel
25 > * Flash bleeds through windows on top of a window with Flash
26 > * Flash colour tables are screwed up. People have blue faces.
27 > * The "fix" for the colour problem involved tweaking /etc/adobe/mms.cfg
28 > which fixed the colours, but caused Flash to crash a lot.
29
30 All that mess got fixed by switching from nVidia's binary blob to nouveau.
31
32 > With hardware acceleration enable for the onboard Intel GPU, I can now
33 > dump the Nvidia card.
34
35 Can you give me some guide, or advice for this ... other than the standard
36 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml ?
37
38 Any push in the right direction would be appreciated.
39
40 > --
41 > Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
42 > I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications
43
44 Me, neither. I run Fluxbox and save my memory and CPU cycles for real work. ;)
45 --
46 Happy Penguin Computers >')
47 126 Fenco Drive ( \
48 Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^