From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xorg.conf tweaks for HTPC machine?
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 01:47:53
1 On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 04:59:47PM -0600, Bruce Hill wrote
2 > On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 05:01:59PM -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:
3 > >
4 > > With hardware acceleration enable for the onboard Intel GPU, I
5 > > can now dump the Nvidia card.
6 >
7 > Can you give me some guide, or advice for this ... other than the
8 > standard http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml ?
9 >
10 > Any push in the right direction would be appreciated.
11
12 The reason I discovered the solution was that I looked through the
13 /var/log/Xorg.0.log file. This file is usually 95+% boring technical
14 detail. Near the top of the log file is a section that says...
15
16 [ ??.???] Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
17 (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
18 (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
19
20 I suggest viewing the log file with your favourite editor, and doing a
21 case-sensitive search on the 2 strings "(EE)" and "DRI" (without the
22 quotes). That was what tipped me off to the fact that...
23 a) there was a problem with DRI
24 b) what file Xorg was looking for that it couldn't find
25
26 Knowing that info, you can put the appropriate entries into the
27 VIDEO_CARDS variable in make.conf. Intel is a bit weird; it wants
28 both intel and the major driver version. E.g. for my older desktop...
29
30 VIDEO_CARDS="i915 intel"
31
32 ...and for my newer HTPC machine...
33
34 VIDEO_CARDS="i965 intel"
35
36 Then re-emerge mesa. If Portage asks you to change some USE flags as
37 part of the process, do so unless it causes problems. Once mesa is
38 rebuilt, run...
39
40 emerge -pv --newuse --deep world
41
42 This will give a "pretend" run. If it looks OK, run it for real...
43
44 emerge --newuse --deep world
45
46 Again, portage may suggest changing some flags. I ended up having to
47 rebuild xorg-server and one lib. After that, run revdep-rebuild. And
48 if you're changing the card type, you'll have to make the corresponding
49 changes in the kernel via "make menuconfig", rebuild the kernel, and
50 reboot. If you get lost, ask here. Copy the relevant error messages
51 from your Xorg.0.log file to help track down the problem.
54 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
55 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications