From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Necessity of installer and complete documentation.
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2017 19:48:51
1 On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 00:35:02 +0700, Ста Деюс wrote:
2
3 > But i still do not understand why there is no choice of the desired
4 > packages but profiles only.
5
6 A profile is only a starting point, a default set of packages and USE
7 flags for common scenarios. It is up to the user/admin to decide which
8 packages they want to install on each system, so a one size fits all
9 approach would not be useful.
10
11 If you want to install the same group of packages on multiple machines,
12 create a set and copy it to /etc/portage/sets. I have a base set that I
13 install on everything, containing all the things I always fond useful, and
14 a desktop set for, well, you can probably guess.
18 Neil Bothwick
19
20 Give me ambiguity or give me something else.