From: "Ста Деюс" <sthu.deus@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Removing unnecessary software.
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2017 15:30:43
1 Hi, Neil.
4 On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 20:48:38 +0100, among other, you wrote:
5
6 > > A profile is only a starting point, a default set of packages and
7 > > USE
8 > flags for common scenarios. It is up to the user/admin to decide which
9 > packages they want to install on each system, so a one size fits all
10 > approach would not be useful.
11 >
12 > If you want to install the same group of packages on multiple
13 > machines, create a set and copy it to /etc/portage/sets. I have a
14 > base set that I install on everything, containing all the things I
15 > always fond useful, and a desktop set for, well, you can probably
16 > guess.
17
18 The problem i see is that admin. is not free to change the packages
19 set, that is dictated by a profile. -- Like i have pointed out, once i
20 tried to remove SSH (for the example, so that here can be another
21 package, and it was the first (base?) profile), on next system update,
22 it returned and got compiled installed.
23
24 Another question is how do i change dependencies of one package
25 that i suppose will live happily w/o whole the set of the packages it
26 supposes it needs. -- Like, i want to play only media files, but not
27 to convert them, so, the ffmpeg package, for example, that i do not need
28 at all, gets compiled and installed -- i would trim from dependencies
29 lists of the other packages.
33 Thank you for your time,
34 Sthu.