From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Removing unnecessary software.
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2017 16:25:59
1 On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 11:29 AM, Ста Деюс <sthu.deus@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > The problem i see is that admin. is not free to change the packages
4 > set, that is dictated by a profile. -- Like i have pointed out, once i
5 > tried to remove SSH (for the example, so that here can be another
6 > package, and it was the first (base?) profile), on next system update,
7 > it returned and got compiled installed.
8
9 You can add them to package.provided to keep them from coming back.
10
11 This problem with the @system set has been discussed a few times.
12 Right now it is a combination of:
13
14 1. A minimal set of bootstrap packages needed to build the rest of the distro.
15 2. Some useful tools that is hard to live without.
16
17 Openssh falls into #2, as does an editor (typically nano by default).
18 The reality is that you can can run a system without either, and you
19 can install either from the rest of @system if it isn't already there.
20
21 A lot of it has to do with how our stage3s are created. I think it
22 would make sense to shrink @system but also have some meta-package or
23 set which comes pre-installed, but which can be more easily removed
24 without all the screaming you get from removing packages that are in
25 @system. Shrinking @system would also reduce the number of packages
26 that cannot be built in parallel using portage.
27
28 I don't think there would be much opposition to it. However, it would
29 take a fair bit of work.
30
31 > Another question is how do i change dependencies of one package
32 > that i suppose will live happily w/o whole the set of the packages it
33 > supposes it needs. -- Like, i want to play only media files, but not
34 > to convert them, so, the ffmpeg package, for example, that i do not need
35 > at all, gets compiled and installed -- i would trim from dependencies
36 > lists of the other packages.
37
38 For something like ffmpeg you'll really need to know what you're
39 doing, as it is a bit of a beast. If it supplies an enable/disable
40 configure switch then I'd add a USE flag to it and tie it to both the
41 dependency and then use use_enable to toggle the setting. Depending
42 on what you're doing there is a good chance Gentoo would accept the
43 patch to add it to the package.
44
45 For a personal ebuild you could just hard-code it as well - just
46 remove the dep from the (*)DEPENDS string and add any necessary flags
47 to not require it.
48
49 ffmpeg already as the "encode" USE flag, however, which might just do
50 what you want already. It has a laundry list of USE flags so you
51 might want to check those before re-inventing the wheel.
55 Rich