From: Ralf <ralf+gentoo@×××××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Fileserver with Raid + Crypto + BtrFS
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 17:10:05
1 Hi,
2
3 at the moment i'm running a gentoo box as fileserver, the setup is as
4 follows:
5
6 -----------------------------------
7 | Ext4 |
8 -----------------------------------
9 ^
10 |
11 -----------------------------------
12 | LUKS |
13 -----------------------------------
14 ^
15 |
16 -----------------------------------
17 | MD Raid 10 |
18 -----------------------------------
19 ^ ^ ^ ^
20 | | | |
21 ----- ----- ----- -----
22 | hd0 | | hd1 | | hd2 | | hd3 |
23 ----- ----- ----- -----
26 Besides other features, I'd like to have a snapshot functionality, and I
27 don't want to introduce an additional layer by using LVM. So I'm
28 thinking about to migrate to Btrfs.
29
30 Btrfs supports Raid10 but no block-crypto.
31
32 If I would use a HD->MD Raid->Luks->Btrfs stack, I don't benefit from
33 the Raid implementation of Btrfs.
34 If I would use a HD->Luks->Btrfs stack, then I would have to use four
35 different LUKS devices, which results in four individual encryptions
36 (and I don't have AES-NI, so this would be a tremendous slowdown).
37
38 What would be the best way to have a Raid 10 together with a encrypted
39 Btrfs?
43 Besides that I would have to live-migrate the Raid10 as I don't have any
44 spare hdd to cache the data. So I would have to degrade my Raid10.
45 Is it possible to create a degraded Btrfs?
46
47 Please don't tell me that this is insanely dangerous, I know it is ;-)
48
49 Cheers
50 Ralf