From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Resurrecting a Gentoo install
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 08:17:40
1 On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 23:26:25 -0800
2 Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > >> Ok, looks as though it's time for a manually-installed version of
5 > >> python to upgrade portage, then a portage-installed python:2.6 to
6 > >> bootstrap your way towards modernity.
7 > >>
8 > >> This is all explained here:
9 > >> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/portage/doc/manually-fixing-portage.xml
10 > >>
11 > >> This may also help
12 > >> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-5578709.html
13 > >
14 > > That last one mentioned --nodeps which gave me an idea.  I did
15 > > 'emerge -pv python' then emerged all of the packages listed with
16 > > --nodeps so portage wouldn't complain.  Portage wouldn't work after
17 > > that until I switched back to python:2.5 with eselect.  Then I
18 > > emerged portage to the latest version (which switched back to
19 > > python:2.6) and I'm hoping I can make some good progress before I
20 > > come crying back to you guys again.
21 > >
22 > > - Grant
23 >
24 > I just did a 'ls -ltr /var/log/portage' and this thing hasn't been
25 > updated in over 3 years. Wow.
26 >
27 > - Grant
30 Honestly, it's not worth trying to update it using portage. Just backup
31 everything on it and do a re-install.
32
33 Trying to update it will be a recursive process, repeated many times
34 over, including manually building compatible pythons and dealing with
35 the inevitable issues that arise. Then you still have the X migration
36 issues to deal with, you still have to deal with openrc, with massive
37 pam changes in the last 3 years, and who knows what else.
38
39 So you will slowly and painfully replace many packages outside of
40 portage to fix this. A reinstall will do the same thing but with much
41 less personal pain :-)
42
43 If however, you want to do this as a learning exercise then by all means
44 proceed. You will gain useful knowledge (but I think you already have
45 that knowledge)
50 Alan McKinnnon
51 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com