From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Resurrecting a Gentoo install
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 07:27:42
1 >> Ok, looks as though it's time for a manually-installed version of
2 >> python to upgrade portage, then a portage-installed python:2.6 to
3 >> bootstrap your way towards modernity.
4 >>
5 >> This is all explained here:
6 >> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/portage/doc/manually-fixing-portage.xml
7 >>
8 >> This may also help
9 >> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-5578709.html
10 >
11 > That last one mentioned --nodeps which gave me an idea.  I did 'emerge
12 > -pv python' then emerged all of the packages listed with --nodeps so
13 > portage wouldn't complain.  Portage wouldn't work after that until I
14 > switched back to python:2.5 with eselect.  Then I emerged portage to
15 > the latest version (which switched back to python:2.6) and I'm hoping
16 > I can make some good progress before I come crying back to you guys
17 > again.
18 >
19 > - Grant
20
21 I just did a 'ls -ltr /var/log/portage' and this thing hasn't been
22 updated in over 3 years. Wow.
23
24 - Grant