From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sharing printers via Cups
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2021 10:20:39
1 On Tuesday, 9 February 2021 00:59:01 GMT Dan Egli wrote:
2 > On 2/8/2021 5:01 PM, Michael wrote:
3 > > On Monday, 8 February 2021 19:08:11 GMT Dan Egli wrote:
4 > >> On 2/8/2021 2:14 AM, Wols Lists wrote:
5 > >>> This is typical. In my linux setup, the printer is always busy. Stuff
6 > >>> still prints fine, though.
7 > >>
8 > >> Mine won't print. Says the printer is busy, and nothing else happens. It
9 > >> just sits there. Let me give better names because even I can get
10 > >> confused. So, we have three machines. Win10 Home = IRIS, Linux Server =
11 > >> Athena, Linux Workstation = Janus
12 > >>
13 > >> If I print directly from Iris, it obviously works fine. If I print from
14 > >> Athena it works fine. If I print from Janus, it never goes anywhere.
15 > >>
16 > >>>> How can I set this up correctly? To describe exactly what I'm trying to
17 > >>>> do, let's just use four computers in this example. A is the central
18 > >>>> print server. B is the windows client with the printer. C and D are
19 > >>>> linux machines. What I want is if either C or D print something, they
20 > >>>> both send it to A, and then A sends it to B.
21 > >>>
22 > >>> I'd try moving the printer to A, or configuring C & D to print directly
23 > >>> to B. I dunno how you set up smbprint, but that should send straight to
24 > >>> a shared printer on B no problem.
25 > >>
26 > >> Unfortunately, moving the printer is a no-go right now, for various
27 > >> reasons. Otherwise I'd just move it to be a network printer. The printer
28 > >> itself is designed to be network capable. But Iris is technically not MY
29 > >> Computer, and the printer isn't technically MINE either. They belong to
30 > >> someone else in the house, and I simply have permission to use them. So
31 > >> my only two options are 1) Configure EVERYTHING to print to Iris. That's
32 > >> doable I suppose, but really not what I want, or B) Use Athena as a
33 > >> central print server just as it already acts as a central file server.
34 > >> That is FAR more preferable because then if something changes instead of
35 > >> updating EVERY computer I update ONE.
36 > >>
37 > >> --
38 > >> Dan Egli
39 > >
40 > > Some ideas:
41
42 [snip ...]
43
44 > > 2. Last time I set up a Windows XP as a printer-server, I
45 > > installed-enabled
46 > > Unix Print Service Windows Component (really an LPD/LPR service). Then
47 > > Linux PCs were able to print directly to it. No need to configure SMB
48 > > and what not, just for printing. This randomly selected article
49 > > describes the principle:
50 > >
51 > > https://support.printmanager.com/hc/en-us/articles/202835449-Linux-printin
52 > > g-via-the-Windows-Print-Server-
53 >
54 > Actually tried that. Got LPD installed, sent a test page. Test page
55 > appeared in the Windows Queue, then disappeared without any
56 > acknowledgement from the printer.
57
58 This would need some troubleshooting/configuring on the Windows end. It's a
59 long time ago I tried this and don't recall what I had configured to allow
60 clients to print via the Windows PC. It was relatively simple and lightweight
61 though, unlike Samba which I wouldn't bother with just for printing.
64 > I finally got it working in samba mode
65 > so I'm good with that. And that, again, would skip the whole point of
66 > having a central print server. :)
67
68 Not really. Athena would remain the CUPS server for itself and any Linux or
69 additional OS clients, sending jobs over IPP:// to the Windows print server
70 running on the Windows PC.
73 > > 3. If the current setup is the right thing for you, increase CUPS log
74 > > verbosity and check the logs on Athena to find out what it isn't happy
75 > > with
76 > > when Janus sends a print job to it. First check the CUPS driver and
77 > > printing protocol is the same on Janus as on Athena and the CUPS' config
78 > > on Athena allows inbound connections from your LAN, or your Janus' IP
79 > > address.
80 > I can check on those. Thanks. I do notice one thing strange. Maybe a
81 > cups bug. In the web interface when I created the printer in Athena, I
82 > checked the box to say it was a shared printer. But when I look at the
83 > status it says "not shared".
84
85 Hmm ... what follows the commented line:
86
87 # Restrict access to the server...
88 <Location />
89 Order Deny,Allow
90 ... ?
91
92 in the '/etc/cups/cupsd.conf' of Athena?
93
94 Similarly, check the "hosts allow" directive in the Samba configuration to
95 include Janus' IP address.