From: Dan Egli <dan@×××××××××××.site>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sharing printers via Cups
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2021 00:59:15
1 On 2/8/2021 5:01 PM, Michael wrote:
2 > On Monday, 8 February 2021 19:08:11 GMT Dan Egli wrote:
3 >> On 2/8/2021 2:14 AM, Wols Lists wrote:
4 >>> This is typical. In my linux setup, the printer is always busy. Stuff
5 >>> still prints fine, though.
6 >> Mine won't print. Says the printer is busy, and nothing else happens. It
7 >> just sits there. Let me give better names because even I can get
8 >> confused. So, we have three machines. Win10 Home = IRIS, Linux Server =
9 >> Athena, Linux Workstation = Janus
10 >>
11 >> If I print directly from Iris, it obviously works fine. If I print from
12 >> Athena it works fine. If I print from Janus, it never goes anywhere.
13 >>
14 >>>> How can I set this up correctly? To describe exactly what I'm trying to
15 >>>> do, let's just use four computers in this example. A is the central
16 >>>> print server. B is the windows client with the printer. C and D are
17 >>>> linux machines. What I want is if either C or D print something, they
18 >>>> both send it to A, and then A sends it to B.
19 >>> I'd try moving the printer to A, or configuring C & D to print directly
20 >>> to B. I dunno how you set up smbprint, but that should send straight to
21 >>> a shared printer on B no problem.
22 >> Unfortunately, moving the printer is a no-go right now, for various
23 >> reasons. Otherwise I'd just move it to be a network printer. The printer
24 >> itself is designed to be network capable. But Iris is technically not MY
25 >> Computer, and the printer isn't technically MINE either. They belong to
26 >> someone else in the house, and I simply have permission to use them. So
27 >> my only two options are 1) Configure EVERYTHING to print to Iris. That's
28 >> doable I suppose, but really not what I want, or B) Use Athena as a
29 >> central print server just as it already acts as a central file server.
30 >> That is FAR more preferable because then if something changes instead of
31 >> updating EVERY computer I update ONE.
32 >>
33 >> --
34 >> Dan Egli
35 > Some ideas:
36 >
37 > 1. If the printer is network capable, why don't you connect it to the router
38 > and they it will accessible directly by all devices over the LAN, irrespective
39 > of their OSs?
40 >
41 Like I said, not my printer or my computer. I just have permission to
42 USE them. So making a config change like that is out. Besides, that
43 defeats the point I made at the end of what you quoted above. "That is
44 FAR more preferable because then if something changes instead updating
45 EVERY computer I update ONE.
46
47 > 2. Last time I set up a Windows XP as a printer-server, I installed-enabled
48 > Unix Print Service Windows Component (really an LPD/LPR service). Then Linux
49 > PCs were able to print directly to it. No need to configure SMB and what not,
50 > just for printing. This randomly selected article describes the principle:
51 >
52 > https://support.printmanager.com/hc/en-us/articles/202835449-Linux-printing-via-the-Windows-Print-Server-
53
54 Actually tried that. Got LPD installed, sent a test page. Test page
55 appeared in the Windows Queue, then disappeared without any
56 acknowledgement from the printer. I finally got it working in samba mode
57 so I'm good with that. And that, again, would skip the whole point of
58 having a central print server. :)
61 > 3. If the current setup is the right thing for you, increase CUPS log
62 > verbosity and check the logs on Athena to find out what it isn't happy with
63 > when Janus sends a print job to it. First check the CUPS driver and printing
64 > protocol is the same on Janus as on Athena and the CUPS' config on Athena
65 > allows inbound connections from your LAN, or your Janus' IP address.
66
67 I can check on those. Thanks. I do notice one thing strange. Maybe a
68 cups bug. In the web interface when I created the printer in Athena, I
69 checked the box to say it was a shared printer. But when I look at the
70 status it says "not shared".
74 Dan Egli
75 On my test server