From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sharing printers via Cups
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2021 00:02:05
1 On Monday, 8 February 2021 19:08:11 GMT Dan Egli wrote:
2 > On 2/8/2021 2:14 AM, Wols Lists wrote:
3 > > This is typical. In my linux setup, the printer is always busy. Stuff
4 > > still prints fine, though.
5 >
6 > Mine won't print. Says the printer is busy, and nothing else happens. It
7 > just sits there. Let me give better names because even I can get
8 > confused. So, we have three machines. Win10 Home = IRIS, Linux Server =
9 > Athena, Linux Workstation = Janus
10 >
11 > If I print directly from Iris, it obviously works fine. If I print from
12 > Athena it works fine. If I print from Janus, it never goes anywhere.
13 >
14 > >> How can I set this up correctly? To describe exactly what I'm trying to
15 > >> do, let's just use four computers in this example. A is the central
16 > >> print server. B is the windows client with the printer. C and D are
17 > >> linux machines. What I want is if either C or D print something, they
18 > >> both send it to A, and then A sends it to B.
19 > >
20 > > I'd try moving the printer to A, or configuring C & D to print directly
21 > > to B. I dunno how you set up smbprint, but that should send straight to
22 > > a shared printer on B no problem.
23 >
24 > Unfortunately, moving the printer is a no-go right now, for various
25 > reasons. Otherwise I'd just move it to be a network printer. The printer
26 > itself is designed to be network capable. But Iris is technically not MY
27 > Computer, and the printer isn't technically MINE either. They belong to
28 > someone else in the house, and I simply have permission to use them. So
29 > my only two options are 1) Configure EVERYTHING to print to Iris. That's
30 > doable I suppose, but really not what I want, or B) Use Athena as a
31 > central print server just as it already acts as a central file server.
32 > That is FAR more preferable because then if something changes instead of
33 > updating EVERY computer I update ONE.
34 >
35 > --
36 > Dan Egli
37
38 Some ideas:
39
40 1. If the printer is network capable, why don't you connect it to the router
41 and they it will accessible directly by all devices over the LAN, irrespective
42 of their OSs?
43
44 2. Last time I set up a Windows XP as a printer-server, I installed-enabled
45 Unix Print Service Windows Component (really an LPD/LPR service). Then Linux
46 PCs were able to print directly to it. No need to configure SMB and what not,
47 just for printing. This randomly selected article describes the principle:
48
49 https://support.printmanager.com/hc/en-us/articles/202835449-Linux-printing-via-the-Windows-Print-Server-
50 3. If the current setup is the right thing for you, increase CUPS log
51 verbosity and check the logs on Athena to find out what it isn't happy with
52 when Janus sends a print job to it. First check the CUPS driver and printing
53 protocol is the same on Janus as on Athena and the CUPS' config on Athena
54 allows inbound connections from your LAN, or your Janus' IP address.