From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Rename /dev/nvme0n1 to /dev/sda
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2017 18:11:29
1 >> My new laptop uses /dev/nvme0n1 instead of /dev/sda which conflicts
2 >> with the script I use to manage about 12 similar laptops running
3 >> Gentoo. Is there a udev method for renaming the disk that will work
4 >> well with any USB disks that happen to also be attached?
5 >
6 > I'm not certain what you mean by that, but I would guess that you want
7 > the nvme disk to show up as /dev/sda, and the USB disk(s) to show up
8 > as /dev/sd[b-z].
9 >
10 > It is not possible to accomplish this using udev; the kernel owns the
11 > /dev/sdX device namespace, and will sequentially create devices nodes
12 > for SCSI-like block devices using that namespace. There is no way to
13 > change that using a udev rule.
16 Can I rename /dev/sda to /dev/sd[b-z] if it's attached via USB, and
17 then rename /dev/nvme0n1 to /dev/sda if /dev/nvme0n1 exists?
18
19 Alternatively, can I rename /dev/sda to /dev/sd[b-z] if /dev/sda and
20 /dev/nvme0n1 exist, and then rename /dev/nvme0n1 to /dev/sda if
21 /dev/nvme0n1 exists?
22
23 - Grant